|Written by George Werner|
|Tuesday, 11 February 2014 13:54|
Eighth-grader Justin Link had 14 points and was named to the all-tournament team as Clarkdale-Jerome School’s Mingus Rams scored a surprise repeat as Verde Valley Conference champions, defeating Camp Verde Middle School 34-31 Saturday, Feb. 1, at Beaver Creek School.
“It’s hard enough to win a championship, but back-to-back … I don’t know what to say,” he said. “I’m just shocked.”
The Mingus Rams [12-5] came back from an eight-point second-quarter deficit, sparked by eighth-grader Zeke Behlow’s layup just before halftime. CJS then used an 11-2 run in the third quarter to turn the tables and lead 26-23 in spite of Cramer missing eight free throws.
“He’s our main ball handler,” Sandoval said. “We don’t go without him.”
Verde Valley Weather
76°F / 103°F
76°F / 100°F
77°F / 101°F
- Ron Barber opens store after tiring of driving to Prescott
- 21,200-acre wildfire closes Oak Creek Canyon north of Uptown Sedona
- Town moves ahead with ‘tri-intersection’ project
- Taylor’s tattoo shop breaks common preconceptions
- Town fine tunes noise law
- USFS considers options for Fossil Creek improvements