|Written by Jeff Bear|
|Thursday, 05 September 2013 11:36|
The Mingus golf team started off its season by winning its own invitational in Cornville on Thursday, Aug. 29, by four strokes over second-place Flagstaff.
“But my putting was really on today. I think I only two-putted two or three holes and then I put them down on the rest.”
Despite the fact that Sullivan was the only Mingus golfer to shoot a state-qualifying score, as a team Mingus came just three strokes from the state-qualifying standard of 162, with its top five golfers totaling 165. Flagstaff was second in the team scores with a 169 while Coconino and Bradshaw Mountain tied for third with a 174.
“I’m kind of surprised that, as poorly as we played, we still came that close to qualifying as a team. So if we play to the level of our ability, we’ll be just fine,” Mingus golf coach Craig Mai said. “I know that our team’s expectations are reasonable — we can meet them and make it to state as a team if we continue to improve.”
Verde Valley Weather
71°F / 102°F
70°F / 100°F
72°F / 102°F
- Ron Barber opens store after tiring of driving to Prescott
- 21,200-acre wildfire closes Oak Creek Canyon north of Uptown Sedona
- Town moves ahead with ‘tri-intersection’ project
- Taylor’s tattoo shop breaks common preconceptions
- Town fine tunes noise law
- USFS considers options for Fossil Creek improvements