|Written by Jeff Wood|
|Saturday, 17 March 2012 00:00|
Some people collect coins. Some people collect stamps. Others collect tractors.
Yes, tractors. Verde Valley resident Lawrence Matthews is one of the latter.
Matthews keeps a collection of tractors — mostly vintage, some working — on an isolated grassy patch of land about a mile off a local highway, a place that looks something like a pasture for the iron workhorses. “It’s kind of in my talent reservoir,” Matthews said of his passion. He said he collects “mostly for pleasure.”
Three of Matthews’ tractors will be on display for the pleasure of viewers Friday to Sunday, March 16 to March 18 at the Verde Valley Fairgrounds, when the local Arizona Flywheelers hold their 28th annual engine and tractor show.
For the full story, pick up a copy of the Wednesday, March 14, edition of the Cottonwood Journal Extra.
Recent Articles by Jeff Wood :
- Cottonwood city manager wins Zimmerman award
- Technology hits school
- Local National Night Out is state’s biggest
- Dozens arrested in Operation Rx
- Clarkdale hires Randy Taylor as police chief
- Cottonwood City Council looks to save taxi voucher
- Republican congressional candidates visit Verde Valley
- Grant loss may close food bank
- Man fires pistol during robbery
- City strives to fairly apply codes to all