Breaking News:

Close
E-mail
Print
Fire destroys Middle Verde home
Written by Mark Lineberger   
Wednesday, 22 September 2010 08:20

A house burning at the far western end of Middle Verde Road pumps black, acrid smoke into the air at approximately five p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 21. Three women living in the home lost all of their possessions in the blaze but no people were injured.A fire destroyed a home on the 3000 block of Pike Road Tuesday evening, a street located near the end of Middle Verde Road.

The fire started sometime around 5 p.m. Smoke was visible for miles across the Verde Valley.

Several regional fire departments responded to the blaze, including the Camp Verde Fire District, the Montezuma-Rimrock Fire District, the Cottonwood Fire Department and the Verde Valley Fire District.

Camp Verde Fire District firefighters battle a residential fire on Pike Lane in Camp Verde on Tuesday, Sept. 21. The home owner said she thinks the fire started when she pressed the electric igniter for the home's gas range. Three women living in the home lost all of their possessions in the blaze but no people were injured.Neighbors gathered in the street to watch from outside an area blocked by deputies with the Camp Verde Marshal’s Office, while members of the town’s VIP program and the Red Cross provided assistance when needed.

Around the burning home, the smoke was so thick it obscured the sun.

No one was injured in the blaze. A resident, Katherine Ginzel, managed to escape with her dog, Chinle, before the house became completely engulfed.

Ginzel said that a member of the owner’s family had seen the fire and started screaming for Ginzel to get out.

Flames consume a home located on Pike Lane at the end of Middle Verde Road in Camp Verde at approximately 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 21. The black smoke from the fire could be seen easily in Cottonwood.Ginzel got out with the dog, but was still looking for two of her outdoor cats.

“I need to make sure I’m here when they come back,” Ginzel said.

Camp Verde Fire District firefighters use compressed air foam to suppress the flames which destroyed a home near the far western end of Middle Verde Road on Tuesday, Sept. 21. The blaze, which began at approximately 4:50 p.m. took the home of three Camp Verde women but no injuries were immediately reported.One of the most devastating losses for Ginzel, beside having her home and possession destroyed, was the destruction of her collection of artwork dating back to the 1920s.

An artist herself, Ginzel said that the fire also claimed “a lifetime of work.”

Still, Ginzel said plenty of friends had come forward to offer their assistance, and that the Red Cross had assured her of a place to stay if necessary.

Maziel Wilkins watches the home she shared with her niece, Sharon Davis, burn to the ground at approximately 5:15 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 21. Still shocked at the loss of their home, Davis said they would stay with family in Camp Verde for the time being. The two managed to rescue their pet birds but Davis said she hadn't seen all of their cats yet.While no official cause for the fire had been released as of press time, Ginzel said she believes the fire started from a bad electrical ignition system on a new stove.

“You could smell it smouldering,” Ginzel said.Camp Verde Fire District firefighters battle a residential fire on Pike Lane in Camp Verde on Tuesday, Sept. 21.

A fire destroyed a home on the 3000 block of Pike Road Tuesday evening, a street located near the end of Middle Verde Road.
The fire started sometime around 5 p.m. Smoke was visible for miles across the Verde Valley.
Several regional fire departments responded to the blaze, including the Camp Verde Fire District, the Montezuma-Rimrock Fire District, the Cottonwood Fire Department and the Verde Valley Fire District.
Neighbors gathered in the street to watch from outside an area blocked by deputies with the Camp Verde Marshal’s Office, while members of the town’s VIP program and the Red Cross provided assistance when needed.
Around the burning home, the smoke was so thick it obscured the sun.
No one was injured in the blaze. A resident, Katherine Ginzel, managed to escape with her dog, Chinle, before the house became completely engulfed.
Ginzel said that a member of the owner’s family had seen the fire and started screaming for Ginzel to get out.
Ginzel got out with the dog, but was still looking for two of her outdoor cats.
“I need to make sure I’m here when they come back,” Ginzel said.
One of the most devastating losses for Ginzel, beside having her home and possession destroyed, was the destruction of her collection of artwork dating back to the 1920s.
An artist herself, Ginzel said that the fire also claimed “a lifetime of work.”
Still, Ginzel said plenty of friends had come forward to offer their assistance, and that the Red Cross had assured her of a place to stay if necessary.
While no official cause for the fire had been released as of press time, Ginzel said she believes the fire started from a bad electrical ignition system on a new stove.
“You could smell it smouldering,” Ginzel said.
 

Verde Valley Weather

Fair

93°F

Cottonwood, AZ

Fair
Thursday
Isolated thunderstorms
71°F / 100°F
Friday
Partly cloudy
70°F / 100°F
Saturday
Partly cloudy
72°F / 101°F

Online Poll

To save money what services should a library cut?
 
Poll Sponsored By: