|Written by Michele Bradley|
|Monday, 05 July 2010 16:42|
A mobile home to a family of four burned in a residential fire, which began at approximately 1:45 p.m. on Monday, July 5.
The home was located on Emerald Court, in Verde Village 1.
Firefighters from Verde Valley Fire District and Cottonwood Fire Department arrived on scene to find smoke pouring out the eaves and roof vents of the affected house.
All the members of the family escaped the fire and were uninjured. The house is likely a complete loss, according to VVFD Assistant Chief Mike Flummer.
VVFD fire investigator Dave McIlroy, said firefighters found evidence the fire began outside the house on a deck at the front door.
After speaking with the homeowner, investigators concluded the smoldering fire in the attic began when embers from an improperly extinguished cigarette blew up into eaves of the home, causing a smoky burn in the attic which quickly spread to both ends of the mobile home.
Neighbors comforted the couple who owned the home as firefighters put out the fire.
"They are the nicest people," next-door neighbor Ed Blauvelt said. "They were always willing to help anybody."
Trauma Intervention Volunteers came to offer assistance to the family after firefighters were finished on-scene. Verde Valley Ambulance Co. arrived to evaluate the physical condition of firefighters who worked inside the smoky structure.
Verde Valley Weather
32°F / 44°F
21°F / 38°F
20°F / 37°F